Saturday, January 22, 2011

A Mother's Mourning

Never have I been so achingly aware of the swift passage of time as I have as a mother. Instead of picturing it as sand steadily passing from one wide end of the hourglass to the next, I picture it as sand slipping through my hands, and I can't
stop it no matter how tightly I tense my fingers together.

It just keeps slipping through.

Relentlessly.

Each day my baby is less a baby. Each day more a toddler, and before I know it an actual kid.

Right now, I'm mourning the loss of a gummy smile, one I'll never see again.




Here are the new additions that wreaked havoc on our sleep for a few nights...


He's such a little man now!

2 comments:

  1. He is so adorable!
    It is kind of sad when they leave the baby stage...but there are so many things to look forward to as he truly comes into his personality.
    Mine were actually walking before they got teeth...yes, they walked a tad early. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Sharon: Wow, yours walked early! I bet you had your hands full. I'm a little sad about him not being a baby anymore, but I know you're right. It will be really fun when he can talk (or maybe not, ha!). I keep comforting myself with the fact that I know he isn't the last baby (God willing). I think when we're on our last one (we'd like 3), it'll be more bittersweet.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.