Wednesday, January 26, 2011

If you listen to me complain about the weather you get to see a cute video of my kid.

First I want to complain about the weather. Geez, it is so cold this year! I don't remember it being nearly this cold last year. It's hard for me to really compare though, because last winter I was pregnant and always hot. I had my own little mini space heater attached to my stomach. If only I had that now! Wait a minute, what am I saying???

A lot of people have been wondering how I can sit over here on my little subtropical/tropical (depending on what part of Taiwan you live in) island and complain about the cold (I'm looking at you, Aunt Colleen!). Well, allow me to explain.

For starters, I just found out that Taipei gets more rain than the Amazon Basin. The freakin' Amazon Basin! It's also extremely humid all year round, so we're dealing with a VERY DAMP cold. Wet cold always feels colder than dry cold.

True that at it's coldest, Taipei may get into the 40s F (8-10 C maybe), but not only is it very damp, THERE IS NO ESCAPING THE COLD! The apartments here are concrete blocks with tile floors and poor insulation. There is no central heat, so you end up wearing a bunch of layers indoors and dragging a piddly little space heater with you from room to room. The space heater only heats up the area a few feet around it, and all in all, it's only a degree or two (celsius) warmer inside. And the sun doesn't come out for weeks and weeks at a time! Nobody listens to me because I'm from Southern California, but even my Canadian friends think it gets really cold here. So there!

So I've been dreaming about summer. Shaved ice, the sound of the cicadas in the trees, icy night market lemonade with cranberries, and all that good stuff. I would try and make the most out of this warm weather and go to a hot spring, but I'm not sure how to make that work with a curious 10-month-old. I don't think it would be quite the relaxing experience it was for us pre-baby! For now, Jonathan and I have been spending a lot of time inside, and it's getting boring for both of us.

Now, as promised, here's a video showing one of Jonathan's really cute new favorite games:

4 comments:

  1. Oh I know how you feel! So very cold - yes the coldest winter they've had for a good long time. It's been even colder here in Taoyuan... ok only by a couple o degrees but that's significant when you don't even have a space heater!!! Luckily I have a dog to keep me warm :)

    Love the video, well worth the rant! Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Kathmeista: Wow, you don't have a space heater??? How do you survive? At least you have a doggy heating pad. I have one of those too! =)

    Thanks for putting up with my rant until you got to the video, and very nice to "meet" you. Looking forward to checking out your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cahleen - I survive by hugging my dog A LOT and wrapping up in a blanket! Oh and hot tea. Lots of hot tea. Very nice to meet you too, I really love reading your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Kathmeista! Enjoy those nice doggy hugs.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.