Friday, March 06, 2009

Oh no, not another dog post!

I might as well just turn this into a dog blog, because that seems to be all I'm posting about lately. But come one, look how cute she is! Who wouldn't want to post about her constantly?



Doesn't it look like her eyes are full of trust and love? It's a good thing she didn't know what horrors were about to befall her. Little did she know that today I would be taking her to get spayed. She's about eight months now, and I knew it had to be done. I was so freaked out that I canceled the appointment I made for her at the "regular" vet and got her in with a fancy animal surgical center that specializes in neurosurgery and chemotherapy. You know, just in case.

Granted, this place was more expensive than most vets in Taipei. I still think the whole spaying procedure is cheaper here than in the States, though. The whole thing, including blood work, consultation, baby tooth extraction (she had two stubborn ones lingering), e-collar, follow-up phone calls, stitches removal in 10 days, and medicine was about $140. At a regular place it probably would have been $85-$90.

What I liked about this place was that they describe everything to you in vivid detail, and they like the owner to stay there while the procedure is being done in case something happens. It only took about 2.5 hours, so it was no big deal. And they actually showed me all the gory bits and explained everything! In case you're interested, below is a picture of my 8-month-old dog's ovaries and uterine horns. I put it so that you have to scroll way down if you want to see it, but if you aren't into looking at the innards of small animals that's cool too.































The first thing I asked when I saw this was "where's the uterus?" Apparently, dogs have uterine horns instead. The two little balls at the top of either end are the ovaries, and the two tubes are the horns. This is because dogs have several puppies in a litter, so if Mei Mei were pregnant those horns would be full of puppies.

Mei Mei is doing well and is being extremely well-behaved. She's not even whining about having to wear that e-collar, but that may be because she's groggy from the anesthesia.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.