In case any of you were curious, I felt like posting a little in answer to this question. Right now I'm teaching a very interesting Special Topics class. These students are very high level English speakers, and the class revolves around discussing articles, social issues, and teaching any of the necessary vocabulary that goes along with it. It's really fun because I get to pick the articles I think are interesting and make my own material. Recently we discussed this article in class, and here's the vocabulary and discussion that went with it:
to keep something "in check"
“fall on deaf ears”
1. What do you think of China’s one-child policy? What are the pros and cons of this policy?
2. Why are so many human rights groups opposed to this policy?
3. Has the policy adequately lowered China’s population, or have other factors contributed to the lowering of China’s birth rate more than the policy? What are some other factors that contribute to a lower birth rate?
4. What are some unintended consequences of China’s low birth rate? How can China counteract these consequences?
5. What do you think of China forcing women to undergo late-term abortions? Is it more acceptable for China to force women to have abortions early in a pregnancy?
6. Should other countries adopt a one-child policy? Think of some arguments that can be used “for” and “against” a one-child policy.
7. Do you think other countries should adopt a policy similar to China’s, but a little more relaxed? How should the problem of overpopulation be handled?
We also discussed this article, and then talked about this:
join the ranks
1. What do you think is more important in today's world -- looks or personality?
2. Do you think Gonzalo Otalora is wasting his time on a ridiculous cause, or do you think he's doing a good thing?
3. Do you agree with Otalora that beauty is a natural advantage? What kind of advantages do beautiful people get in life? What are some disadvantages of being beautiful?
4. Is it fair to tax good-looking people? Explain.
5. If you are good-looking, are you more likely to ...
get a good job?
have a lot of friends?
do well in school or your career?
live a happy life?
6. Would you rather marry an ugly person with a good personality, or a beautiful person who is very arrogant and selfish?
7. Do you believe that an extremely good-looking person is less likely to have a good heart/personality? Explain.
I find that BBC usually has a lot of interesting articles, but I can always use more. If you come across any send them my way!