Friday, October 05, 2007

龍山寺 (Longshan Temple)

I took my grandmother to Longshan Temple (龍山寺) today. Longshan Temple is the biggest and most active temple in Taipei, so there are usually a fair amount of worshipers there. However, for some reason there were a ton of people there today chanting mantras. As far as I know today isn't a special holiday, although according to my husband's Chinese calendar, today is considered to be auspicious for sacrifices and weddings. I don't know, it's hard to understand what ritual is performed on what day and why. My grandmother and I were wondering if this display of piety had something to do with the approaching super typhoon, typhoon KROSA. In any case, watch the clip to get an idea of the traditional worship done in these temples.

4 comments:

  1. Interesting but sad.
    How will they know unless we tell them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing the video clip! I wonder - do they really take it to heart - or is it more of just a "tradition" with them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, thanks for visiting my blog. YOU have a very unique and adventurous life. I've never been overseas though I soooo long too. My husband has been to Thailand, Australia, Mexico and most recently, Romania. (the first 2 before we were married) Maybe someday God will let me come visit you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In answer to Dionna's question, it's a little bit of both. Some people really believe in this stuff, but I would say that a vast majority of the people go to the temples to worship as a sort of insurance policy. They're afraid something bad will happen if they don't do it, so they figure they've got nothing to lose by doing it.

    Thanks for stopping by, Javamamma! Who knows? Maybe one day you will get to visit me!

    Sharon, you ask a very important question. Please be praying for Taiwan!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.