Thursday, September 27, 2007

Moonstruck -- My Moon Festival Photos

A bit late, but here they are. My photos of our Mid-Autumn Festival (also known as Moon Festival) festivities! This is a holiday filled with BBQ, deliciously fattening mooncakes (that sit like a rock in your stomach after eating just one), and family reunions. Click on the wikipedia link above to get the more factual, less artsy explanation.


My ridiculously good-looking husband trying his hand at the BBQ. Wow ... he's a man's man!


Typical Taiwanese BBQ. Doesn't that squid look yummy?


This is 雞心 (chicken heart) and 雞屁股 (chicken butt) on a stick. Taiwanese people are adamant that chicken butt is good for the skin.


Look! I know how to BBQ!


Pomelos are in season during the Mid-Autumn Festival, and are often given as a gift along with mooncakes. My friend, Ali, is wearing the peel of one on her head. According to Taiwanese tradition, this is good luck.


How could I not fall in love with this man?


Our beautiful hostesses BBQing. Notice how the BBQs are very low to the ground, making it necessary to squat or sit on a low stool to cook. The BBQs here are somewhat disposable. You usually use them a few times and then throw them away.


BBQ bamboo. This is actually quite tasty!

8 comments:

  1. How I would have loved being there for this.
    I used to be in the restaurant so I love seeing different types of foods. I went on a mission trip to San Salvador a year ago and I loved trying their traditional dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharon,

    I have a feeling that you're a lot more open-minded about food than I am! I must admit that I was too scared to eat the chicken heart and chicken butt. My husband was a lot braver than I!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool. I love to BBQ! Low fat way of cooking! And the idea of a disposable grill appeals :) I think I'll stick to chicken breasts though - the idea of the "butt" doesn't sound overly appetizing - LOL!

    Thanks for the great shots. Looks like you're all having fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan,

    The butt doesn't seem very appetizing to me, either!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cahleen (I love your name!)

    Thanks for sharing your celebration with us. Looks like you had fun, and always glad to hear that someone is deeply in love with their other half. ;-)

    You are sweet, and thank you so much for your prayers. I am so glad for friends and your support, as this road we walk can sometimes be very hard and lonely.

    ((((hugs))))from CT
    Kimmie
    mama to 6
    one homemade and 5 adopted

    ReplyDelete
  6. AND>>> I never really considered that chickens had a butt, too funny thinking they eat it to enhance their skin! ;-)

    Kimmie
    mama to 6
    one homemade and 5 adopted

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did you eat the squid? Tell me you didn't eat the squid!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kimmie,

    I hope that everything works out with the adoption. If only every child had a mother like you! As for the chicken butt, I'm still too scared to try it.

    Stacy,

    No, I couldn't bring myself to eat the squid. I'm such a wimp!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.